Wednesday 19 August 2015

Liquid vs Gel Eyeliner

Hello and welcome to my Realm of Beauty. 

Today's post is going to be about eyeliners; one of the most loved and at the same time hated makeup items in everyone's makeup collection. We've all been intimidated by them at some point in our lives. We've also all been jealous of those beautiful and even winged eyeliners you see on Instagram. If you get passed that initial stage of fear by practising your technique and familiarising yourself with the shape of your eyes, you'll get to the point of exploring all the different options out there: liquid, pencil and gel eyeliners.

Soap and Glory Supercat liquid pen and Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Liner. Both available at http://www.boots.com.

I personally started with pencil liners. But I only used it in my waterline or sometimes under my bottom lashes. I never got to successfully apply the pencil above my eyes, so I moved on to liquid eyeliner. I remember my first purchase was mac's classic liquid eyeliner. I initially had to practise with it but I instantly picked up the method and wore it a lot. It still took me a while to apply it though, because as a perfectionist I had to make sure that everything was on point.

After that I came across eyeliner pens. The results were very similar to the classic eyeliner, but a little less intense. The pens were a lot easier to apply, so I tried them in different brands, some of which I was really not happy with. Since I have oily eyelids, most of the eyeliners I've tried would smudge or leave awkward marks on my crease. It really is frustrating when you've got the most perfect winged eyeliner, but 2 hours later you find that half of it has gone on your crease.

I wasn't really satisfied with any liquid pens until I came across Soap and Glory's Supercat Eyeliner. I, like many other beauty bloggers, absolutely love this product. It doesn't smudge, it's super easy to apply and it looks beautiful. If you're just getting into eyeliners and would like to experiment with cat eyes and wings, then I'd totally recommend this especially since it's only £6 and widely available.

The story doesn't stop there. One day I was watching one of Lisa Eldridge's videos (can't remember which one) and in this video she used the Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Liner. I just loved the results and the fact that she recommended it was enough to send me to Boots to get myself one. Now, I have to be honest, I was always very intimidated by gel liners because I thought they were difficult to apply. But I thought I was confident enough with my skills to finally give it a try. And I'm so glad I did. Gel liner has become by far my favourite type of eyeliner. The intensity of the blackness is just amazing, and you can see the comparison with liquid in the pictures below. Also, if the product is high quality, such as the Maybelline gel liner, it will last all day without smudging.

Note: I didn't apply mascara in any of the pictures, because this way you can see the eyeliner more clearly.
Another advantage is that you can apply gels in your waterline, which you can't really do with liquids. Before I started using gels, I used to apply pencil in my waterline and liquid above my lashes. But now, I can just use the gel for both purposes.
You can see the comparison in the picture. I know it doesn't look like I've applied any product in waterline of the left eye, but trust me I have. It just doesn't show because that's the nature of liquid pens.
The down side is that drawing wings with gel liner is more challenging than with liquid, at least in my experience. You also need a fine liner brush, which is an added expense. The good news is if you buy the Maybelline gel liner, it will come with a brush of its own which has two sides: smudging side for smokey eyes; and fine liner brush for precise application. I personally use the Real Techniques Fine Liner Brush. It's much easier to use and it's of higher quality.

Final thought:
if I'm in a hurry, or not in the mood to spend 10 minutes applying eyeliner, then I'll reach for Soap and Glory's Supercat. But since I don't really use eyeliners for everyday makeup, this rarely happens. I also sometimes use it to outline the lines and go in with the gel.
I much prefer gel liners to liquid liner. And since I only tend to use eyeliner when I'm going out in the evening, I can afford to spend time applying it. Trust me, it's really worth it. Also, since there's such an amazing product like Maybelline's Lasting Drama Gel Liner available for only £7.99 at any drugstore, you don't really have any excuses not to try it out. I personally don't think I'll ever seek a high end gel liner, that's how amazing this product is.

There you have it lovelies. I hope you enjoyed this comparison post. Make sure to follow me on social media for updates and tips. All my social media links can be found in the right hand column.

See you soon x

2 comments :

  1. I am a liquid pen liner girl you just gave me a bit more confidence to try a gel one!
    Vee // veespetitstresors.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it. I'm sure you'll love it too :)

      Delete